Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Workshops

It's been a busy summer. I'm wrapping up a month-long workshop on Worldbuilding (through Passionate Ink) and preparing for my next one (on Descriptions) through Savvy Authors.

In August, I will be proposing a hands-on workshop directly through Otter Creations on writing the synopsis. There will be announcements and descriptions a-plenty, but if you're impatient, you can always email me with questions. There's a lot of additional information on my workshops in general and on the other services I offer on my Otter Creations site.

It's been a lot of fun doing the Worldbuilding workshop. I've wanted to look at story-worlds (my own and that of other writers') the way I've looked at folklore and folk tales, and I'll admit it worked. I hope that the participants got as much from the workshop as I did, because everything I suspected about my own story-building came out exactly as I thought. All the listening and reading of folk tales, legends, and myths that I've done since I was little did pay off. I read, I write, and I create my worlds as if I were still opening a book of magic tales.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away...

And no, I did not make a mistake. My imagination always allowed me to endow a fast car, a motorcycle, or a spaceship with the same exciting, adventurous feeling as the black destrier of the Fantasy Hero.

(Why black? Come on, be practical: a white horse gets dirty so fast, while a black horse is so much more impressive!)

Now it's your turn: I'm open to suggestions and requests for Fall Workshops.

No comments: